1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 bag (about 40) large marshmallows
red food coloring
Frosting (any kind)
aluminum foil or wax paper
assorted candies (circus peanuts for feet, peach rings for eyes, licorice and hershey kisses for anteanne, runts candies for mouths and inside of eyes)
How to Make
You are basically making "rice krispy treats" for the bug's bodies. We just used a larger cereal for a fun texture. In a large bowl, microwave butter and marshmallows for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Add a few drops of red food coloring and stir well. Mix in the breakfast cereal, stir well. Let cool for a minute or two until it is cool enough to handle.
Spray hands with cooking spray then take about 1/2 c. mixture and form into a ball. Squeeze it together firmly to retain shape (if it starts to fall apart, wait until mixture cools a little more). Place balls on wax paper or aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray until cool and completely set. When set, take two circus peanuts, add a dab of frosting to the top, then attach to the ball to make the "feet". Add various candies to decorate your bugs and enjoy the love!
Home Made for the Holidays
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cupcake or sweet treat is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!