Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
(Each package makes about 12 large hearts)
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 T flour
4 cups powder suged
3 T meringue powder
6 T water
2 t vanilla extract
Wilton gel food colors
How to Make
Mix cookie mix, butter and egg until dough forms.
Roll dough on floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
Cut with heart cookie cutter.
Bake at 375 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet (I like baking on parchment) for about 8 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. Cool completely before icing.
Mix powder sugar, meringue powder, water and vanilla for 5 minutes on high in a stand mixer (10 minutes with a hand mixer).
Divide into 5 smaller bowls for yellow, pink, lavendar, green, orange and red (for lettering). Keep icing covered with plastic wrap so it doesn't crust over.
Tint each bowl to desired color with Wilton gel food colors (a little goes a long way). Use a piping bag to pipe an outline of the hearts in desired colors.
While outlines are drying, thin the remaining icing (except the red) with about 4 tablespoons of water. Icing should flow. With a spoon or using a plastic bottle ketchup-type flood (fill in) the outlines with the same color icing. Use a toothpick to help spread icing if needed.
Let dry for several hours or overnight. Pipe names or saying on with red icing.
Store used icing in fridge.
Home Made for the Holidays
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cupcake or sweet treat is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!