After baking the cupcakes and frosting them with pink icing, I prepared to decorate the cakes with pink marshmallow hearts. I was surprised to discover how much the hearts looked like two curled ears. A couple of marshmallows later, an adorable pig was born.
Since then, our family has an annual tradition of making piggy cupcakes every Valentine's Day when the stores begin to sell heart shaped marshmallows.
Cupcake frosted with pink icing
1 (1-inch) heart shaped pink marshmallow (Many discount stores and grocery stores stock these for Valentine's Day)
1 large strawberry flavored marshmallow(pink colored)
1 mini white marshmallow
2 chocolate chips
red food coloring
How to Make
With scissors, slice marshmallow heart in half to yield 2 identical heart shapes. Position hearts at top of cupcake, pointed ends out, to create ears.
With scissors, cut large pink colored marshmallow in half to yield two cylinder shapes. Position one cylinder as the piggy's snout, on the side of the cupcake opposite the ears. Save the other half of the marshmallow to make another piggy. (Hint: if you can't find strawberry/pink marshmallows, frost the top of the snout pink after positioning it on the cupcake.)
Cut the mini marshmallow in half with scissors to create two identical circles. Stick a chocolate chip in the middle of each mini marshmallow, pointed end down, to make eyes. Position the eyes above the snout.
Lightly dip a toothpick in food-coloring then poke it gently in the large strawberry flavored marshmallow to create nostrils in the snout.
Home Made for the Holidays
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cupcake or sweet treat is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!