2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz black coffee, cooled
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup dark cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
16 oz frozen, sweetened, sliced strawberries (thawed)
1 ½ tbsp corn starch
2 tsp lemon juice
½ cup butter, salted
1 cup shortening
½ tsp butter flavoring
½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp strawberry flavoring
1 lb. powdered sugar
Milk, as needed
Red and green food coloring
How to Make
Make the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add canola oil, vanilla, and cooled coffee. Sift together dry ingredients, and add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Batter will be thin. Pour batter equally into 24 paper lined muffin tins (about ¾ full). Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Make the filling:
Blend the cornstarch with a little bit of the cold strawberry juice. Boil remaining strawberries and juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook and stir until thick and clear. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Cool before use.
Make the frosting:
Blend together butter, shortening, and flavorings. Add half of the powdered sugar, and mix. Add remaining powdered sugar, along with milk, a tbsp at a time, until you have reached the desired consistency.
Keep a little bit of the frosting white
Color a little bit of the frosting green
Color the remainder of the frosting red or pink
With only the cupler of a pastry bag, pipe red frosting onto the cupcakes to make a mound. Pipe small teardrops (with the white frosting) toward the center of the cupcake, using a #4 round tip. Finish the strawberry top by making leaves with green frosting using a #10 round tip. Squeeze and drag frosting from the center outward, until you have the desired amount of leaves.
Home Made for the Holidays
- Avoid clutter. Keep the background simple -- your cupcake or sweet treat is the star!
- Daytime, natural light is best. If your area is bright enough, try taking the photo without the flash.
- Upload a horizontal photo. If you crop the image on your computer, make sure you keep a landscape 4:3 aspect ratio.
- For best results, make your image 1200x900 (or "save for web").
- With a digital camera, you can take as many photos as possible and choose the best one. Have fun!