Big Bay Town Park
Big Bay Town Park
La Pointeview website
Leaves from Bayfield Pier
La Pointe, WI 54814
Big Bay Town Park Description
Helpful young men and women direct the cars as tourists and locals drive onto the Madeline Island Ferry, which shuttles passengers and bicycles between Bayfield on the mainland and La Pointe on Madeline Island. If you decide to bring your car, your kids will be thrilled that you are actually driving onto a boat. The 20- to 25-minute ferry ride is a scenic and exciting introduction to Lake Superior. There is a lot to explore on-board the two-deck ferry, and even more to see if you sit on the top deck.
School-Age Kids: For short-legged cyclists younger than 6, your best bet is a tag-along. Even if your little one bicycles independently, Motion to Go doesn't have pint-sized bikes for kids under 6.
- Bring a sweater or a jacket. It's colder on the water than on the mainland.
- No reservations necessary. The ferry service is first-come, first-served only.
- Arrive early. People start lining up their cars 10 to 15 minutes in advance of departure.
- Go on a walking tour. From the end of June to the end of August, the ferry line offers a free one-hour walking tour of La Pointe's most interesting places. Tours leave from the ferry depot at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Bring cash. The Bayfield ticket booth accepts Visa and MasterCard, but you'll need cash if you pay for your ticket on board.
- Cars cost (a lot) more. Car passage is $25 round-trip, in addition to the per-passenger fee of $11.50 for adults and $6 for children ages 6 to 11.
- Free for kids 5 and under. Children under 6 ride the ferry free of charge.
Just the Facts
Hours: The ferry runs every 30 minutes from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. (later on Fridays and Saturdays) during the height of the summer season, but hours vary in the spring and fall.
Recommended Time: Half day