Flag Ponds Nature Park
Flag Ponds Nature Park
Flag Pondview website
1525 Flag Ponds Parkway
Lusby, MD 20657
Flag Ponds Nature Park Description
Walking along the path from the parking lot feels less like you're walking to the Bay and more like you're going on a forest hike (which you can do, too), but then the path opens up to a slender strip of sand and a wide-open, crystal blue expanse of calm, inviting Chesapeake Bay water. The beach is famed for the Miocene shark teeth that cover the beach, but it's a gorgeous, secluded spot to play in the tranquil water, build sandcastles, and while away an afternoon.
Babies: No strollers are allowed inside the aquarium, but visitors can check their strollers free of charge and are provided with complimentary front or backpack carriers.
Toddlers & Pre-K: The beach and Bay are ideal for young kids. The shore slopes gently to the water, and the Bay has virtually no waves.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Only the most earnest of fossil collectors will want to spend more than 30 minutes looking. If your young adult isn't content to relax on the beach for a few hours, it's best to skip this trip and spend the day in Solomons or Prince Frederick instead.
- Visit the Calvert Marine Museum first. The fossilized shark teeth truly are in abundance here, but without a little background in what to look for you may think the fossils underfoot are rocks and shells.
- No services. Bathrooms and showers are available at the beach, but no lifeguards, snack bars, stores, or vendors of any kind. Stock up in Prince Frederick or Solomons and bring anything you'll need for the day with you, especially food and drinks.
- Shoes required. The walk to the beach is along a dirt path through woods. Although the beach sand is soft, some rocks and shells may be painful to walk on.
- Entrance by the carload. A $6 fee per car applies from Memorial Day to Labor Day; a $3 fee per carload applies the rest of the year.
- Not well-marked. The entrance to the park is easy to miss, so keep an eye on the odometer to help you know when you're close. It's approximately 10 miles south of Prince Frederick and 10 miles north of Solomons.
Just the Facts
Hours: Memorial Day to Labor Day: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sat.-Sun. 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Weekends only Labor Day to Memorial Day.
Fees: Less than $10
Recommended Time: Half day