Clark's Elioak Farm
Clark's Elioak Farm
Ellicott Cityview website
10500 Clarksville Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Clark's Elioak Farm Description
Take your kids away from the city and back to a simpler time with a visit to Clark's Elioak Farm. Part petting zoo, part playground, part eco-tourism venue, the grounds are sprinkled with life-sized statues (some as large as a small house and others the size of a toddler) depicting scenes from fairy tales like "Cinderella," "Little Boy Blue," and "Mother Goose" that kids can touch, climb on, play in, and slide down. Add in the friendly animals in the petting zoo and the idyllic farm setting, and you've got the makings for a perfectly lovely afternoon.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Plan to spend at least two hours at the farm. Start in the petting zoo (to the right of the castle entrance), then take a hay ride, and finish the day in the lower section of the farm.
School-Age Kids: Kids who have outgrown the playground will be too old for Clark's.
- It's enchanted. Most of the statues were rescued from the Enchanted Forest, a small storybook amusement park opened in 1955 that delighted children for more than 30 years; the others are recreations of Enchanted Forest statues that were beyond repair.
- Hay rides and pony rides. They're a must-do, and at only $2 each, they won't break the bank.
- Dress for the farm. Although kids in the 1950s dressed up for a visit to the Enchanted Forest (often as their favorite storybook character), modern kids should dress in play clothes that won't be ruined by a little dirt.
- Holiday fun. Visit in the weeks before Halloween to pick pumpkins, and before Christmas to see the Christmas tree farm.
- Bring quarters. Food for the petting zoo animals (including goats, sheep, ducks, ponies, and an emu) costs 25 cents a handful.
- Bring a picnic. Extend the afternoon by packing a picnic lunch or snack (water and other basic snacks can be purchased in the store). If you prefer to dine indoors, just about every chain restaurant under the sun has an outpost on Route 40.
- Stay nearby. The Turf Valley Resort is a short ride away, and includes two 18-hole golf courses, an on-site spa, two swimming pools, and a restaurant.
Just the Facts
Hours: April through early November: Tue.-Sun. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Fees: Less than $10
Recommended Time: 2 - 4 hours