St. Thomas, VI 00804
Taxi Tour Description
Driving around the islands is a great way for kids to absorb the reality that distinguishes this world from their own. Learn historical tidbits, enjoy breathtaking overlooks, and get glimpses into island culture and traditions. Even more enticing for kids is riding in an open-air safari taxi. Most resorts can hook you up with day-long tours. If you'd prefer a two-hour tour, check with your resort or call the number listed above.
Babies: Cars are almost always a good option for sleeping babies.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Cars are not always a good option for toddlers, however. And, heaven knows you don't want your toddler crawling around a safari cab.
School-Age Kids: Great fun if in a safari. Tolerated otherwise.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Educational, and very scenic.
- Bring water. A snack wouldn't hurt, either.
- Bring your camera. Guides are happy to take group photos (and they'll be happy to accept your tip as well).
- Morning is best. It's cooler.
- Seatbelts on request. You can likely negotiate a vehicle that offers seatbelts if you hire your own taxi -- safaris don't, but they're the norm here.
- Fun vs. queasy stomachs. Open-air safari taxis are the answer for the queasy, and they're adventurous. Vans are more familiar -- and frankly, you feel safer. But with the twisty roads, they could spell stomach trouble.
- St. John vacationers. Try calling 693-8164 to arrange a tour.
Just the Facts
Fees: $20 - $30
Recommended Time: 2 to 4 hours