Memphis, TN 38103
Antique & Collectible Store
Souvenir & Gift Store
Doll & Toy Store
A. Schwab Description
Beale Street isn't necessarily a place to take the kids as it's basically a mini Bourbon Street. But kids of any age will love the funky, fusty A. Schwab. Filled to the brim with essentials (Elvis-style glasses, complete with sideburns) and non-essentials (spell-casting candles), A. Schwab is a cornucopia of commercialism, and the most fun store in town.
- Kid-friendly bar. With the ducks inhabiting the lobby bar's fountain, kids are naturally drawn it. But that's okay -- they're allowed as long as they're accompanied by an adult.
- Arrive early. Be in the bar area at least 45 minutes beforehand if you want to get a good viewing spot; an hour or more for an actual seat.
- Fly high. You can get away from the crowds by watching the parade from the relative sanity of the second floor, but don't bring the school-age set up here, as they'll be disappointed.
- Be aggressive. Twice a day a child is chosen to be honorary duckmaster, which includes the chance to lead the ducks. Competition is fierce so be sure to chat up the duckmaster, who is always in the area beforehand, or at least make eye contact with him.
- Just ducky. After the parade, head into the hotel shop and let everyone pick out their own toy duck to take home.
Just the Facts
Hours: Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; open some Saturdays until midnight. Closed Sunday.
Recommended Time: Less than 1 hour
Reviews of A. Schwab
By asorsoleil79 January 27, 2010