South Shoreview website
73 West Carson St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Monongahela Incline Description
Constructed in 1870, the "Mon" is one of two remaining funiculars from the many that took passengers up steep Mount Washington in the early twentieth century (the other remaining is the Duquesne), and the oldest funicular in the country still in operation. The three-minute journey takes riders to Mount Washington, where kids can enjoy a panoramic view of Pittsburgh and look down a steep drop. From the lookout, kids love seeing what other people have accidentally dropped in the bushes below.
Babies: Strollers are allowed in the compartments, but it's much easier to use a front or backpack carrier since you'll have to go up some stairs to get to the compartments. A handicap ramp and elevator are available for those with strollers.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Have a sweet treat on top of Mount Washington—follow the signs to the ice cream shop instead of rushing right back down.
School-Age Kids: Bring a tourist map of Pittsburgh (your hotel should provide one) and see if your kids can identify landmarks from the overlook.
- Convenient location. Enjoy the shopping, restaurants, and even a Just Ducky Tour from Station Square before going up to Mt. Washington.
- Try another one. If your kids enjoy this ride, also take them to the Duquesne Incline. There's even a little gift shop at the top where you can buy a bean bag toy in the shape of the Duquesne train.
- Exact change. The train requires exact change ($2 each way or $2.50 roundtrip for adults; $1 each way or $1.25 roundtrip for kids age 6 to 11), which you pay at the top. If you don't have change, use one of the change machines at the bottom before you board.
- Bring a camera. The overlook is probably the most popular spot in Pittsburgh from which to take a picture.
- Choose your spot. You'll get the best view from the bottom of the three compartments, but in hot weather you might prefer the top compartment, which isn't totally enclosed and so has a little breeze.
Just the Facts
Hours: Mon.-Sat. 5:30 a.m.-12:45 a.m.; Sun. 8:45 a.m.-midnight
Fees: Under $10
Recommended Time: 1 - 2 hours