South Charlotteview website
Avenue of the Carolinas
Charlotte, NC 28273
One ticket admits lucky kids to both the theme park and the water park. The water park had a major expansion for the 2008 season, adding a second wave pool and enough new water attractions to soak every kind of kid. Fearless? Shoot down the 80-foot spiral Pipeline Peak. Mellow? Chill out around the lazy river. Big spenders can stay in the shade in rental cabanas ($80 a day) by the new Bondi Beach wave pool. Water-logged? Landlubbers' favorite roller coaster is still the classic thirty-year-old wooden coaster, Thunder Road.
Babies: There isn't much for babies here.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Nickelodeum Central offers many rides for the under 48-inch crowd. Even if your preschooler normally walks, consider a stroller to make the long walk between rides easier. Strollers are available for rent near the front gate.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Rent a tube ($5) at the Bondi Beach wave pool, then encourage kids to do as the locals do and swim out as deep as they can and position themselves in front of the W in the Carowinds sign. The waves will bounce them straight up and down like a yo-yo.
- Protect little feet. If you're going to both the amusement park and the water park, pack a pair of flip-flops for the water park to shield feet from the hot pavement.
- Save a few bucks. No outside food is allowed in the park but there is a covered picnic area outside the front gate. A Cracker Barrel restaurant is just across the street.
- Save a few more bucks. Admission fees go down after 4 p.m.
- Save even more. Order tickets online to save up to $10 off an adult ticket.
- Avoid the crowds. Not surprisingly, summer weekends see the largest crowds. Go mid-week for shorter lines.
Just the Facts
Hours: Vary by day of week and season. Check the website.
Recommended Time: Full day
Reviews of Carowinds
By kat3cats September 02, 2008
What we loved:
What we didn't love:
The attendants dont want to be there.
The food was awful. Expensive and awful. I bought a cold burger, cold fries, and a drink in the Nick Cafe for $13. Ketchup in large amounts didnt help. My 17 year old decided to try the Panda Express chinese food and got crunchy OLD lo mein noodles that he threw in the garbage.br/Ask any attendant a question and they will look at you like you have 3 heads. Prepare to stand in line at least 15 minutes for EVERYTHING. HA, we went to the ICEE stand $4.00 for a small, $9.99 for a "souvenir" cup. I asked for some ice water and the attendant said, "I dont have ice." ....br/I have more but it would just sound like ranting. It is no place for infants and children under 48" tall. Really. br/br/br/ Read More