Worlds of Fun
Worlds of Fun
4545 Worlds of Fun Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64161
Worlds of Fun Description
Worlds of Fun has been a family entertainment staple in Kansas City since the early 1970s. From a tot-sized park-within-a-park to coasters that will test the courage of even the haughtiest teens, there's something for every family member to enjoy. Young kids will be captivated by the simple, "old school" pleasures like bumper cars and the just-for-tots Camp Snoopy section of the park; teenagers will love terrifying roller coasters like the Boomerang and Prowler, clearly designed with their need for speed in mind.
Babies: Only three rides allow parents to bring a "hand-held infant" seated on their laps: the Worlds of Fun Railroad (middle seats only), the bench on the carousel, and the rear seat of the Le Taxi Tour ride. Bring or rent a stroller, as the park is huge but well-paved with wide walkways throughout.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Little ones will love "Camp Snoopy," a Peanuts-themed area just for kids less than 54 inches. Look for Snoopy wandering the Camp greeting the kids.
School-Age Kids: Some kids may feel frustrated because they'll fall short of the height requirements for many rides; steer them toward the bumper cars ("Krazy Kars"), the Viking Voyage water coaster, and Le Grand Taxi Tour, a jalopy ride where shorter kids can take the wheel.
Pre-Teens & Teens: The Grand Prix Raceway costs extra (about $5) but is perfectly suited for older kids (who must be 58 inches or taller to take a drive). The Patriot and the Mamba are two of the biggest, fastest, most thrilling coasters in the park.
- Get deals online. The Worlds of Fun Web site lists special offers year-round -- check for details when planning your visit.
- Bring cash. Parking is $10 per vehicle, dining options abound, and carnival games entice (usually costing $5 for three attempts) -- factor these small expenses into your budget for the day.
- Strollers and lockers. Both single ($10) and double ($20) strollers are available for rent, and lockers are available for $8.
- Ride ratings. Each ride is rated with a color-coded number and a description to let parents and kids know how exciting -- or scary -- it might be (a "1" is a calm children's ride, while a "4" is a thrill ride). Download a Rider Safety Guide from the Worlds of Fun Web site to learn more.
- Rider Swap. Parents of young children can take advantage of the park's "rider swap" policy. One parent waits with young children near the exit while the other one rides; then the waiting parent takes a ride without having to get back in line.
Just the Facts
Hours: Summer: Daily 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Check the Web site to verify, and for hours during other times of the year.
Recommended Time: Half day