Xcaret Attraction Park and Zoo
Xcaret Attraction Park and Zoo
Km 282, (Xcaret Information Center: Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 9., Cancun Hotel Zone)
Puerto Juarez, Mexico
+52 (984) 871 5200
Science & Nature Museum
Live Music Venue
Xcaret Attraction Park and Zoo Description
This ecological park has a museum, butterfly pavilion, underground rivers (they are as strange and intriguing as they sound) and dozens of other family-friendly, fascinating attractions (mushrooms, incubating quail eggs, orchids, archeological sites, dolphins, horses anyone?). About an hour south of Cancun tucked into the rainforest, Xcaret (which means "small inlet" in Mayan) welcomes over 700,000 visitors a year to its 200-acre nature park. Plan to spend at least one day and don't miss the spectacular show that features Mayan dance and styles.
Babies: Plenty of face time, colors, sights, and sounds to keep baby intrigued all day. Strollers are available to rent for $9, though it makes more sense to carry your baby so you can explore everything.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Some of the cultural shows and painted faces may be too loud and scary for preschoolers. If your little one doesn't like to get wet, explore Paradise River by boat. Don't miss the jaguars, monkeys, and turtles that are in different open spaces in the park.
School-Age Kids: Decide your day based on your child's interests but don't miss the underground rivers or the live demonstration of how ball was played in Mayan times.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Horse-loving teens will be wowed by the afternoon Mexican rodeo; and the spectacular, spooky cultural show is a big hit. Sea trekking (you walk on the ground inside the water) is also popular.
- Go early. Avoid crowds by arriving at 8:00 a.m. when the park opens.
- Bring your own stroller and towels. But if you don't, strollers are available to rent for $9 and towels for $3. The park is also wheelchair accessible and has wheelchairs for rent for $20/day.
- Natural chemical-free sunscreen only. Wear sunscreen that says biodegradable on the label so you don't disturb the ecosystem (available to purchase at the park).
- Have a designated meeting place. The park is big and there is so much to do and see that you'll want to have a meeting place in case you get separated from your family.
- Save money and time by buying tickets on-line.
- Rent a car. If you sign up for one of the three tours, transportation is provided from most major hotels. But parking is free and if you rent a car, your family can go when you wish instead of wasting time picking up and waiting for others. There are many ways to get to Xcaret.
- Plan your trip before you go. Unless you have time to spend more than one day in Xcaret, you won't be able to see everything. Familiarize yourself with the park by surfing their excellent Web site or getting a guidebook to the area and decide in advance what you and your family would like to see.
- Bring a bathing suit and a change of clothes. Swimming (in underground rivers to see bats in caves!) and snorkeling opportunities abound. Bring bathing suits and a change of clothes (in a waterproof bag) for the whole family.
Just the Facts
Hours: Winter from 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Summer from 8 a.m-10 p.m.
Fees: Over $40 (A basic entrance ticket costs $69 for adults, $34.50 for children, with additional costs for other activities.)
Recommended Time: Full day