Cape Cod Rail Trail
Cape Cod Rail Trail
South Dennis, MA 02660
Cape Cod Rail Trail Description
This 22-mile rail trail (a stretch of former train tracks that once connected Provincetown to Boston) runs from Dennis to Wellfleet. It's an ideal path for families -- it's flat, has well-marked areas where automobiles cross, and smooth pavement (no unimproved dirt or ballast stretches). The Dennis-to-Nickerson Park stretch (approximately 11 miles) passes several freshwater ponds; the Orleans-to-Eastham section has places to stop and observe the salt marsh habitat at Boat Meadow Creek. Newly added trails in Harwich give scenic views of Thatcher's cranberry bog, a sight unique to Cape Cod.
School-Age Kids: Once your child has transitioned off training wheels, the Cape is a great place to cruise along without the problems of traffic or hills that your neighborhood may pose. Make bicycle etiquette fun by designating them as the one to politely say, "On your left!" before passing.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Biking is a great way to see a good chunk of the Cape up close and work in some exercise. Your family can use the trail to travel to and fro to add salt to this environmentally-friendly vacation.
- Rentals are available. Bikes can be rented all along the bike trail if you don't have your own with you. Baby seats can attach to an adult bike for younger children; carts are especially convenient for little ones who may nap along the way.
- Bring a snack, not a picnic. Food is available at stops along the way, so keep your cargo light by leaving picnic supplies at the hotel or your beach house. Water bottles are a necessity, though.
- Dress for anything. Wear comfortable shoes, bring a towel, and wear a bathing suit under your clothes in case you stop for a swim at a beach or pond.
- Bathroom breaks. Look at the trail map ahead of time to get an idea of where bathroom stops are along the way.
- Park and ride. Information about free parking is available on the rail trail Website.
Just the Facts
Hours: 24 hours; rental hours vary by business.
Recommended Time: 2 to 4 hours