Hilo, HI 96720
Bikevolcano.com offers bicycle tours of varying length and difficulty to Volcanoes National Park and to view the active lava flow coming out of Kilauea. Biking is the absolute best way to experience the volcano! The 16-mile Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone tour begins with a downhill ride and continues along ocean front past azure, saffire, and cobalt-colored water, mansions owned by Oprah Winfrey and others, and onto lava rock. It culminates after dinner with a flashlight-lit walk down to the ocean to view (at a safe distance) where the lava is pouring into the sea. You stop along the way to learn about the area's geology, flora, and fauna.
School-Age Kids: Younger children can go on this ride though it may be too long a day for those 5 years old and younger (expect at least an hour of driving and don't expect to get back until 8:30 or 9 p.m.)
Pre-Teens & Teens: The knowledgeable, kind guides (the van driver replaces water bottles and hands out snacks along the way) and the high energy ride, along with the majestic scenery and unbelievable sight of lava flow, make this an amazing activity for kids of all ages, and adults, too.
- They pick you up. From one of the designated pick-up spots. Call for details.
- A van follows the bikes. If your kid poops out or you have any problem, there's a van behind the riders the whole way and you can always hop in.
- Trail-a-Bikes are available. For children less than 4-foot-10 tall.
- Expect to stay late.: This tour is dependent on sunset and lava flow, which changes daily.
- Wear sturdy shoes. You'll be biking 16 miles, walking down to a black sand beach, and also hiking on lava rock for 1.5 miles.
- Dinner is included. You order during the van ride and eat at a nice local restaurant in Kalapana.
- Bring a light jacket.For after dark when it can get cool and windy.
Just the Facts
Hours: Tour times vary and may be cancelled because of weather or hazardous fumes from the volcanoes. Call the reservation line for details.
Fees: More than $40.
Recommended Time: Full day