75-5669 Ali'i Drive
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Atlantis Adventures Description
Sometimes after you splurge on an expensive family activity, you end up feeling disappointed. Not on the Atlantis. Diving down to more than 100 feet under the sea (which means you have 10 stories of water above you) to explore Kona's coral reefs is the the kind of once-in-a-lifetime experience your children will be talking about into adulthood. You'll see longnose butterfly fish, moray eels, longfin banner fish, a shipwrecked World War II scavenger ship, bullethead parrotfish, and maybe even a shark. Schools of sturgeons swarm toward the sub like children to an ice cream truck to eat the algae off the hull. This unbelievable voyage is worth every penny.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Children must be over 36" tall to ride the submarine.
School-Age Kids: Being underwater in a pressurized cabin may be too frightening for some youngsters.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Even the most eye-rolling teenager will be totally wowed by this ride.
- Synchronize your bladders. There are no restrooms on board the submarine.
- Expect some big waves. A boat takes you a half mile or so off shore where you board the Atlantis. The water can get choppy so if you tend to get seasick, plan accordingly.
- Bring a buck. Purchase a dive log that gives you specs on the submarine and the tropical fish.
- Bring a camera. But turn off your flash. The thick glass bounces the light back and ruins your photos.
- Board the submarine last. You'll get the best seat, closest to the pilot, if you wait until everyone else gets on board.
Just the Facts
Hours: Atlantis submarines operate three to four dives a day, 365 days a year, weather permitting. Call ahead for details.
Fees: More than $40.
Recommended Time: 1 - 2 hours