Kona Joe Coffee
Kona Joe Coffee
79-7346 Mamalahoa Hwy
Kealakekua, HI 96750
Specialty Food Store
Kona Joe Coffee Description
A coffee lover's paradise and a wonderful place to visit for a family, locally owned Kona Joe's offers a guided and informative tour of its coffee processing facility. You'll get to watch a bright red coffee cherry being split open (it's goopy inside); see their unique trellis-style planting; and learn about how coffee is harvested, roasted, and stored. You can take the guided tour, which is offered by request, or simply come enjoy a cup of joe (or tea) and a sandwich on their patio, which offers incredible views of the coffee plants, avocado trees, monkey pods, Hookulia Golf Course, and the ocean below.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Young kids love the brightly colored paintings on display (and for sale) at the gift shop, where you can also buy toys, souvenirs, and enjoy free samples of handmade chocolates.
School-Age Kids: The tour is recommended for kids 9 and older.
- Beat the heat. About eight miles above Kona at an elevation of 1,400 feet, this hidden treasure makes a cool retreat on a hot day in town.
- Go before 4 p.m. Though they close at 5 p.m., food is only served until 4 p.m.
- Bring a light jacket. It can get breezy at that elevation.
- Bring 50 cents. Get a closer look at the ocean and the trees through a viewing scope.
- Groups of 10 or more. Call ahead to let them know you're coming. The owner has a miniature donkey and can set up a petting zoo for a large group or special occasion.
Just the Facts
Hours: Open Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Breakfast and lunch are served daily until 4 p.m.
Fees: Free to visit; $15 for the tour.
Recommended Time: 1 - 2 hours