Download the template here:
Prep & Landing Gingerbread Man Decoder
HYFFE VXFUMBHLM! Use this adorable gingerbread decoder to unscramble this message and make a few of your own.
- Print out the decoder on regular paper or cardstock and cut out all of the pieces.
- Place the smaller wheel on top of the larger wheel on the gingerbread man and attach them using a brad.
- Think of what you want to tell someone. We'll use "Merry Christmas" as an example.
- Set your decoder by lining up two green letters with two white letters and a symbol. (For example: Line up the green W and X with the white Q, H and ornament.) Keeping the decoder lined up, find M on the inner wheel of white letters and write down the green letter right above it on the outer wheel. The letter is H. Your scrambled message should always be made up of green letters from the outer wheel and your plain text after it is decoded will be found on the inner wheel of white letters. Repeat this for each letter of your phrase.
- The code should read "HYFFE VXFUMBHLM." Give the code and decoder to someone to decipher your message. Don't forget to tell them how to set the decoder! (For this message we used the green W and X with the white Q, H, and ornament.)
- Sample message: HYFFE VXFUMBHLM
- Set your decoder by lining up the letters the way your message sender tells you. For this sample message line up the green W and X with the white Q, H, and ornament.
- Find the first letter of your message, H, on the green-letter outer wheel of the decoder. Write down the white letter right below it on the inner wheel. The letter is M. Repeat this for each letter of your phrase.