Tips for Pet Care
Aussie Pet Mobile Inc. offers these 10 tips to keep your pets safe during the hot summer months!
1. Never leave your dog alone in a parked vehicle. Even with the windows open, the temperature in your automobile can quickly skyrocket, causing potential for heatstroke and even fatality.
2. Keep your pet well hydrated and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest times of the day.
3. Avoid walking your dog in areas you suspect have been sprayed with insecticides or other chemicals. Plant food and fertilizers can be extremely poisonous if your pet ingests them.
4. Have your pet groomed monthly to prevent overheating and to alleviate summer skin problems. A matted dog with a thick undercoat is a breeding ground for parasites, bugs and bacteria that can cause your dog to get sick.
5. Bring your pet into the veterinarian for a summer checkup. Ask your doctor to recommend a pest-control program to combat ticks and fleas.
6. Never leave your pet unattended around a pool. Once in the water, a dog cannot get out without help and may soon panic and drown.
7. Always make sure your pet is wearing a collar and identification tag. Be sure that the contact information listed is legible and accurate.
8. Prevent your pet from hanging his head out of a moving car or truck window when taking him for a ride. Bugs, rocks and other debris can injure his eyes, and he is also at risk for jumping out of the vehicle.
9. While indoors, make sure your pet has access to the coolest parts of the house, such as the basement or a room with air-conditioning.
10. Always walk your pet on a leash. This ensures the safety of you and the animal, walkers, joggers and bicyclists.