Most years, by the time I've assembled the Halloween costumes for my three kids, I don't have any energy (or money) left to come up with something fun to wear myself. But sometimes we moms need to have a costume for that neighborhood block party, or for giving out candy with flair. Luckily, after a quick peek in my closet, I found some outfits that were easily accessorized with items I already owned to make simple, yet fun costumes.Cowgirl
Kick up your heels with this easy as pie costume!
- Denim: can be jeans, skirt, overalls
- Tank top: to wear under a blouse
- Floral blouse: roll up the sleeves and tie it under the bust
- Boots: cowboy boots are best, but whatever you have is fine
- Leather belt, with flashy buckle
- Hat: I had a couple of straw cowboy hats in my closet. If you don't they can be found cheaply at a party store, or even a bathing suit shop
- Bandana: Some might consider this overly sweet, but you could tie one around your neck or at the end of your braid.
- Side braid: If you have long hair, gather it off to the side near the nape of your neck and put it in a loose braid.
- Accessorize with your favorite dangly or hoop earrings, silver necklaces and bangles.
A stern librarian costume just might scare the children more than a ghost!
- Sweater, cardigan or blazer
- Plaid skirt
- Tights (optional)
- Sensible shoes
- A bun, secured with pencils
- Big, silly glasses (I used some 3-D glasses my son brought home from a movie)
- Bright lipstick…and lips pursed to "shush"
- A stack of books
This costume is all about layers—layers of clothing and scarves, and layers of jewelry. Have fun!
- Long skirt
- Frilly blouse or shirt
- Boots or loafers
- Scarves around waist, shoulders and/or head
- Hoop or dangly earrings
- Lots of bracelets
- Layers of necklaces
iPod Billboard Silhouette Dancer
Why not dance your way down the street? Adding the optional glow-in-the-dark necklace for safety is a good idea if you will be escorting your children trick-or-treating.
- Black, long sleeved shirt
- Long, black pants or skirt
- Black shoes
- Black hat
- iPod, iPhone
- Glow in the dark necklace, optional