Coconut Snowball Cupcakes
These gorgeous cupcakes will make a sparkling addition to your holiday dessert table. Coconut lovers will swoon over the tender cake and rich cream cheese frosting. To make them look extra special, decorate the tops with small, snowflake-shaped ornaments.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 35-40 minutes
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 block of cream cheese (8 ounces), softened
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Clear sanding sugar or sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium high (or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.
- Run a rubber spatula around the sides of the mixing bowl to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared baking pan. I like to use an ice cream scoop to
help measure the batter so that each cupcake is the same size. Each cup should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile beat the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the extracts and confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread each cooled cupcake with a dollop of frosting, or pipe decoratively using a pastry bag. Sprinkle the top of each
cupcake with shredded coconut. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if using.