Homemade Holiday Soaps
Not only will you be proud you made this gorgeous soap, but someone will be thrilled to receive it. Teacher Gifts? Neighbor Gifts? Hostess Gifts? Knock them all out at once!
This semi-homemade gift, which comes in two varieties -- candy-shaped and layered loaf -- can be delivered with the festive Christmas saying, "We WASH you a Merry Christmas, we WASH you a Merry Christmas, We WASH you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!"
- melt-and-pour soap base, white and clear (available at most craft stores)
- round mold (even a muffin tin would work)
- rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle
- red soap coloring drops (available at most craft stores)
- essential oil -- scent of choice (optional)
- fine soap glitter (optional)
- kitchen paring knife
- Gather your soap-making supplies.
- Break off small pieces of clear soap and
put in a microwave-safe container. Heat your melt-and-pour soap base in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until thoroughly melted. Don't over heat!
- Add red coloring. Also, add fragrance, if desired. (I recommend peppermint! Yum!)
- Fill the bottom of a circle mold 1/2" high.
Let soap cool (approx. 20 min). If you don't have a circular plastic or silicone mold, try using a mini or regular muffin pan.
- Remove soap from mold. You may have to run a knife around the edges to help loosen the soap. Cut the soap in 1/8ths (or 1/4ths for smaller circle molds).
- Place HALF of the cut soaps, face down, on the bottom of the circular mold.
- Lightly spritz with rubbing alcohol.
- Using white melted soap, pour over the arranged red soaps, and fill to the top of the mold. Let cool and harden completely (approx. 45 min).
- Remove from mold and tidy up edges and overlapping colors with a small paring
- Wrap with cellophane, and tie ends with ribbon. Don't eat it!
Next: Layered Loaf Soap