Turn comforting tapioca pudding into a special dessert for two by spiking it with pure maple syrup and finishing it with a simple spiced maple-nut topping.
|Prep Time:||20 minutes|
|Ready in:||45 minutes|
|Yield:||2 servings, about 2/3 cup each|
|Ease of Prep:||Easy|
|1 cup low-fat milk|
|1 large egg , well beaten|
|1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca|
|1/8 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup , divided|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|2 tablespoons chopped walnuts|
|Pinch of ground cinnamon|
|Pinch of ground nutmeg|
- Combine milk, egg, tapioca and salt in a medium saucepan. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil, 6 to 18 minutes (depending on your stove). Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup syrup and vanilla.
- Divide the pudding between 2 ramekins or custard cups. Let cool for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, line a small plate with parchment or wax paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray. Combine walnuts, the remaining 1 tablespoon syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan or skillet. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until most of the syrup has evaporated, 1 to 4 minutes. Spread the nuts out onto the prepared paper and place in the freezer until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Crumble the chilled walnut topping into pieces. Serve the pudding topped with the maple walnuts.
Cover and refrigerate the pudding for up to 3 days. Prepare the walnut topping (Step 4) 15 minutes before serving.
Health Advantages: heart healthy, high calcium, low sodium, low sat fat.
|Servings Per Recipe: 2|
|Amount Per serving|
|Calories:||301 cal||Carbohydrate Servings:||3|
|Carbohydrates:||48 g||Dietary Fiber:||1 g||Cholesterol:||113 mg|
|Fat:||9 g||Sodium:||250 mg||Saturated Fat:||2 g|
|Protein:||9 g||Potassium:||169 mg||Monounsaturated Fat:||2 g|
|Nutrition Bonus:||Calcium (20% daily value), Zinc (17% dv).|
|Exchanges:||2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1 fat|