Ham, Apple and Brie Panini
Some nights are so busy that there's only time to serve sandwiches for dinner. But a sandwich dinner becomes an elegant affair when they're made with smoked ham, sliced apples and brie cheese. Most kids love them, but the beauty of this meal is that ingredients can be added or omitted if necessary. Everyone can have fun assembling their own sandwiches and then placing them in the "Panini Machini" as we call it. If you don't have a Panini press, you can use a regular grill pan, skillet or griddle to make these as well.
- Heat the Panini press or skillet to medium heat.
- Spread one slice of bread with the mayonnaise and mustard. Spread the other slice with the pepper jelly or chutney.
- Fold the ham or turkey slices in half and place on one slice of bread, top with the apple slices. On the other slice of bread layer on the brie cheese.
- Carefully close sandwich, spread the outsides with a bit more mayo, and place in the Panini press. Cook until sandwiches are golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Alternately, place the sandwiches on a grill pan or skillet and cook for about 5 minutes per side, compressing them slightly with a spatula.
- Remove from the pan, add some baby lettuce and serve.
Find more recipes from Alison Needham on Family.com, or visit her blog at www.agirlamarketameal.com.