This hearty chili is tempered by the surprising addition of apple cider, which makes it a very kid-friendly dinner. It's mom-friendly too, because it utilizes a rotisserie chicken, and comes together quickly. I always like to top mine with sliced jalapeno peppers and cilantro to give it an extra kick, but the kids like it topped with lots of grated cheese and sour cream. Serve with a salad and warm corn muffins.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Add chili powder, oregano and bay leaves and stir to combine.
- Add diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, apple cider, chicken broth and shredded chicken. Raise heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover partially, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for five minutes more or until heated through. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired ingredients.
Find more recipes from Alison Needham on Family.com, or visit her blog at www.agirlamarketameal.com.