Pumpkin Spiral Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
This classic jelly-roll style cake has all the delicious flavors of pumpkin pie. Though it looks impressive, it's very simple to make and would be a wonderful addition to your holiday dessert line-up.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking sheet. Place a sheet of parchment paper on it, then grease the top of that. Spread a large (non-terry cloth) dish towel on a table and sift powdered sugar over it.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and eggs together until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Mix in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spread into prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until cake is cooked through. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto prepared dish towel. Remove parchment paper. Starting from the short end, carefully roll up the cake in the dish towel, and set on a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Mix together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and mix until thoroughly combined. When cake is cool, unroll it and spread it with the filling. Carefully roll cake back up without the towel, starting at the short end. Trim off the ends and refrigerate to firm up for at least one hour. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, slice and serve.
Find more recipes from Alison Needham on Family.com, or visit her blog at www.agirlamarketameal.com.