Pirate Ship Cake
A chocolate pirate ship birthday cake complete with sails.
- 2 boxes of your favorite cake mix
- Your favorite buttercream frosting recipe
- Blue frosting
- #18 star tip
- Frosting bag
- Pirate toy figures
- White or cream-colored cardstock
- Chocolate to melt
1. Mix cake ingredients together. Grease the bottom of two 9X13" pans. Fill 1/2 full with batter and bake at 325 degrees for about an hour. Let the cakes cool
2. Cut one cake in half for the main part of cake. Cut the other half to a point for the front of cake. Cut the other cake in half and cut one half in half again. The smaller pieces will be used for the back of the cake. The other half of the second cake is extra and can be frozen for some other use.
3. Place the cake that is to be used as the bottom of the ship on a cake board or platter. Take the half which is cut to a point and secure it to the bottom using straws. Use the shorter pieces to assemble the back of the ship using straws again to secure them in place. Trim the top piece a little to make it look like a deck.
4. Frost with chocolate buttercream. Use blue frosting for the water.
5. Use store-bought pirates to place on deck. Make sails using cardstock paper. Use chopsticks to secure the sails. Chocolate rails can be used. They are made by melting chocolate in a bottle with a round tip. Squeeze out rail designs onto wax paper. Let cool and gently peel off and place on cake as desired.
6. Let the guests take home a pirate!