Queen of Hearts Cake
Surprise ... Happy Birthday.
- Your favorite cake mix (enough for a 6" and 8" cake)
- Your favorite fondant recipe
- Your favorite buttercream recipe
- Black frosting
- Water with gum Paste
- Red & black gel coloring
1. Bake cakes and let them cool.
2. Stack one level piece of cake on a cake board. Pipe buttercream around the top rim to form a wall. Then add buttercream in the center of the level and spread to the buttercream wall. Repeat for additional layers.
3. Coat cake with buttercream frosting and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Roll fondant out to 1/4" thick. Get cake out of the fridge and cover cake with white fondant. Smooth fondant and cut off excess around edges.
4. Poke 8" cake with four sticks to support top tier. Place top tier and steak a large stick through the entire middle, so the cake doesn't slide.
5. Color all excess fondant red and black. Cut red diamonds for lower tier and place them around the cake. Pipe a black frosting ball were diamonds meet. Make a large red starburst for top tier. Place on top and curl edges with a stick. Pipe black swirls onto the side of the top tier.
6. Cut strips of all colored fondant and wrap them around a stick to make curls. Let them air dry to get stiff.
7. Pipe black frosting around the base of top tier, and make a nice size cluster on the very top of the cake so the curls can stick to them.
8. Randomly place curls on top of cake. If you have extra, you can place them on the side of the cake too (like shown in the photo). Serves 25 people.