Toy Story Alien Bento Box
Make an out-of-this-world lunch for your young Space Ranger with Toy Story alien cucumbers as a crisp centerpiece.
Toy Story Bento Contents:
- Whole wheat mini pitas, stuffed with egg salad
- Alien cucumbers
- Woody's cantaloupe stars
- Lotso Bear teddy bear cookies & pretzels
Toy Story Alien cucumbers
Tools needed: cutting board, small sharp knife, smaller circle fondant cutters or straws in varying sizes, toothpick
Ingredients needed: cucumber, boiled egg, cream cheese/hummus to hold design together, small piece of uncooked spaghetti
1. Slice cucumber into rounds, about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Using a small knife, trim 2 pointy ear pieces, then join them with a semi circle to make the head. Save the extra piece for later.
3. With a small circle fondant cutter, cut one circle out of a slice of boiled egg white for the middle eye. Line up the cutter to the edge of the first circle to cut two crescent side "eyes." (Hint: If you do not have fondant cutters, a fatter straw will work too.)
4. Adhere the eyes to the top of the cucumber with tiny dots of cream cheese or hummus. A toothpick can help position the eye pieces.
5. From the extra cucumber piece, slice off a thin layer of outer peel. Using cutters, decorating tips, or various sized straws, cut three smaller circles for the eyes and one slightly larger circle for the mouth.
6. Attach eyes and mouth with cream cheese/hummus and a toothpick.
7. Cut one more circle from a thicker piece of cucumber and peel, approximately the same size as the mouth.
8. Break a small piece of spaghetti noodle (1/2 to 3/4 inch), poke through the last circle and into the top center of the alien's head to make the antenna.
Keep the extra pieces of cucumber for lunches or salads, use the remaining boiled eggs for egg salad pita sandwiches.
Mini pita sandwiches
Make egg salad from remaining boiled eggs left from the Alien cucumbers and mayonnaise. Slice top of a mini pita and fill with egg salad.
Slice cantaloupe into thicker slices (1/4 to ½ inch thick). Cut stars using a small cookie cutter. Save extra pieces for fruit salad or just for underneath the stars in the bento.
Other Toy Story Bento Ideas
In lieu of egg salad, fill mini pitas with mozzarella, a small bit of tomato sauce and pepperoni, for the Aliens' Pizza Planet beginnings.
Add a strawberry or two for Lotso Bear, for his strawberry fragrance.