Corn Chowder with Tomato Relish
A great way to pour one more serving of milk to help you and your family get key nutrients you need.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 slices bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 to 2 cloves garlic, sliced
11 ounces pkg. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning or salt
2 1/2 cups fat free or lowfat milk
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
- In small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat. Remove bacon, reserving drippings.
- In food processor or blender jar, combine corn and onion mixture; add combined water and cornstarch. Cover; process until mixture is smooth.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stir milk into corn mixture. Add seasoning; cover, cook stirring frequently 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine tomato, bacon and cilantro; mix lightly.
- To serve, top each serving with sour cream and tomato mixture.
240 calories; 8 g fat; 3.5 g saturated fat; 20 mg cholesterol; 10 g protein; 30 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 175 mg calcium (15% of daily value).
* Nutrition figures based on using fat free milk.