A great way to pour one more serving of milk to help you and your family get key nutrients you need.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 cup each: chopped onion, carrot and celery
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup dry split peas, rinsed and drained
1 can (13 3/4 ounces) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups fat free skim or lowfat milk, divided
4 cups washed and dried fresh spinach leaves
4 tablespoons diced fully cooked ham
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion, carrot and celery in butter until onion is softened.
- Add split peas, chicken broth and half of milk. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until split peas are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In blender or food processor, puree split pea mixture with spinach.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in enough remaining milk to give desired consistency.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground pepper and nutmeg.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with ham.
210 calories; 2 g fat; 0 g saturated fat; 5 mg cholesterol; 16 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate;11 g fiber; 530 mg sodium; 160 mg calcium (15% of daily value).
* Nutrition figures based on using fat free milk.