Tomato soup is the perfect choice for a light meal or as a starter for a special dinner party. This recipe for thick and tasty tomato soup includes carrots, thyme, and garlic for extra flavor and is topped with cubes of toasted bread, called croûtons. Serving tip Serve the tomato soup in bowls, with a scattering of croûtons. Add a dollop of sour cream for extra flavor.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Peel and chop the onion and carrot. Carefully heat the olive oil in the saucepan, over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for about 5 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and flour and cook the mixture for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, paste, thyme, stock, sugar, and lemon juice to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into 3/4-inch cubes. Scatter the bread on the baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to coat the the bread in the oil. Bake for 8–10 minutes, until crisp and golden. Shake the tray every few minutes for even cooking.
- Carefully ladle the hot soup into the blender. Season the soup with pepper, and blend until smooth. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.