I made this Pirate Ship Cake for my daughter Merriweather's 6th birthday party. The kids loved it!
- 6 10" round cakes (use your favorite cake mix)
- 4 cans of your favorite frosting
- Pink and blue food coloring
- 6oz of melted chocolate
- Assorted candies for decorating
- Printed flags and skewers for the sails
1. Bake 6 10" round cakes according to the package. Cakes can be made ahead of time and frozen or wrapped well and left at room temperature overnight.
2. Mix 1 can of frosting with pink food coloring. Mix half a can blue. Mix the other two cans with 6oz of cooled, melted chocolate.
3. On a cakeboard, make two stacks of 3 cakes each. Cut out an oval section on one stack so the two stacks fit snugly against each other.
4. Undo the stacks and redo them with frosting inbetween each layer so they stick. Carve the cake into a boat shape by angling the sides.
5. Save the pieces that you carved from the cake. Use the saved pieces to make a rail, sides and back of the boat. Attach with frosting. Frost the exterior of the cake with the chocolate frosting.
6. Decorate cake with pink and white frosting. Use the blue frosting for the waves/water.
7. Finish decorating with different candy accents, such as chocolate balls for cannon balls, jelly candies in the water, and a graham cracker as a plank.
8. Attach the printed out sails with skewers.