Asopao de Pollo
Bring home some Disney food magic with this winning recipe from the 2011 Epcot® International Food & Wine Festival. This savory Puerto Rican concoction from Chef Roberto Velez puts a zesty twist on classic chicken soup.
See the How-to Video
Asopao de Pollo:
- For Sofrito: Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until very finely chopped. Set aside.
- For Asopao de Pollo: Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and sofrito; sauté until chicken is seared on the outside.
- Add olives, roasted peppers, tomato paste and bay leaves, and sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, stirring to combine. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add rice and chicken stock.
- Simmer soup until chicken and rice are cooked. Remove chicken thighs, and transfer to a cutting board. Chop or shred chicken into small pieces, and return to the pot.
- Stir in culantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves before serving.