Rolled Sugar Cookies
No holiday is complete without rolled and cut sugar cookies and these thicker, softer version are easy to roll and just the right amount of sugar makes them the perfect backdrop for icing and sprinkles.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Yield: 2-3 dozen cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
icings, sprinkles and decors as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment or grease lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and butter and blend until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and egg and mix well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt and add to wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms. Wrap lightly in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Section dough into 4 parts and roll on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and place on prepared sheets.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned on the bottom. Cool on baking sheets for 3 minutes and remove to racks to cool completely. Decorate with icings and sprinkles as desired.