Big Soft Ginger Cookies
These cookies are best with a big mug of your favorite hot chocolate. Rolled in sprinkles before baking, they are soft and warm, perfect on a wintry night!
Hands-On Time:10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 to 2 1/2 dozen cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
colored nonpareil sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or grease lightly with cooking spray.
- Blend butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and stir until smooth.
- Stir together flour, spices, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until well combined. Batter will be stiff.
- Roll into 1 1/2-inch balls and dip in nonpareils. Set on baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until cookies are puffy and slightly dry. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets for 3 minutes. Transfer to racks to complete cooling.