Topped with white candy buttons, these colorful cookie shorts are tall on kid appeal -- and they make an especially fitting treat for Mickey fans.
- Template for Sugar Cookie Shorts
- Batch of sugar cookie dough*
- Red food coloring
- Pair of disposable kitchen gloves (for kneading food coloring into the dough)
- Rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Kitchen knife
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Yogurt-covered raisins
- Wire cooling rack
* Note: For the best results, the sugar cookie dough should be on the stiff side. You may need to knead a little extra flour into store-bought doughs so the cookies will hold their shape well during baking.Instructions:
1. Wearing plastic kitchen gloves, knead red food coloring into the cookie dough (this is a fun job for kids). Wrap the dough in plastic and keep it chilled until you're ready to use it.
2. Print and cut out the template.
3. Heat the oven. Cover your work surface with flour-dusted wax paper, and roll the dough out to about 5/8-inch thickness.
4. Use the template and a kitchen knife to cut out the cookies and then transfer them to the baking sheet.
5. Gently press two yogurt-covered raisin "buttons" partway into the dough on each cookie. Don't press too hard, just enough for the button to stick in place.
6. Bake and cool the cookies according to the recipe directions. Enjoy!