This is a fun rainy-day or birthday party activity for any kid. Let them draw their own vision of a cookie puzzle and let them decorate, as well. Make them any size or shape you wish; the possibilities are endless! Clean paint brushes are the easiest way to apply icing to these, but a steady hand and small spreading knife works, too.
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 45-60 minutes
Yield: Makes one large puzzle cookie
1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated cookie dough
Several icing colors
Several decorative candies - optional
- Draw a picture of what you would like your finished puzzle to look like and use it for reference.
- Preheat oven to temperature advised on cookie package. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough directly on parchment lined sheet into a rectangle about 13 x 10 inches.
- Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters or a sharp knife. Cut through the dough completely, but do not remove the shapes.
- Set a timer for twice the time called for on the package, but check for doneness halfway through. Once cookie is lightly browned on the edges and done in the center, remove from oven.
- While cookie is still hot cut through shpaes again very gently. Leave intact.
- Once cookie is thoroughly cooled, ice and decorate shapes as desired.