Cucumber Melon Agua Fresca
Agua fresca is served at stands throughout Mexico and is the perfect foil to spicy dishes. It's also one of the most refreshing drinks and excellent for cooling off on a hot summer day.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 4 hours and 10 minutes
Yield: About 8 cups
One 8-pound watermelon
2 large cucumbers
2 to 4 Tablespoons lime juice
1 to 2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
- Remove rind and seeds from watermelon. Cut into cubes.
- Peel cucumber and cut into chunks.
- Puree fruit in a a blender until smooth -- this can be done in batches if necessary.
- Add water to fruit and stir well. Strain through a sieve and discard pulp.
- Add lime juice and sugar to taste. Many times the fruit is sweet enough that very little sugar is needed, so use as you desire.
- Chill for 4 hours or until very cold. Serve over ice.