Pink Lemonade Bars
Pretty in pink lemon squares are a sweet-tart addition to any dessert table. When I make these at home, they're devoured in no time and everyone always wants the recipe. These are great sellers at bake sales, as well.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 24
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
Pinch of salt
6 large eggs
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour
Several drops of red food coloring
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- Cream together butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Stir flour and salt together and add to butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees.
- Blend eggs and remaining sugar until lemon-yellow and smooth. Add lemon juice, zest and food coloring until the color of pink lemonade. Add flour slowly, stirring constantnly so lumps do not form.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm. To check for firmness, give the pan a small shake -- if there is lttle movement in the center of the filling, it's done.
- Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar before cutting.