Kids will love making the frosting "quills" and creating a cute cookie face.
- 12 cupcakes, baked from your favorite recipe
- 2 cups chocolate frosting
- 12 small vanilla cookies, like Nilla wafers
- 12 green gumdrops
- 1 red gumdrop
- 12 green candy-melts
- Green writer frosting
- Red writer frosting
- Black gel decorator icing
- 12 chocolate chips
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 24 sliced almonds
1. Let preschoolers help frost your cupcakes generously with chocolate frosting.
2. To design your hedgehog face, dab on black gel icing eyes, eyebrows and whiskers. Place a dollop of frosting on the flat side of a chocolate chip and attach the chocolate chip to the center of the cookie, as a nose.
3. To build Mr. Pricklepants' hat, cut gumdrops in half and use the wide half of the gumdrop as the crown of the hat. Use green writer icing to glue the crown to the candy melt brim. A sliver of red gumdrop attached with green writer icing is the feather in Mr. Pricklepants' hat.
4. Place the cookie face on the frosted cupcake. Add sliced almond ears.
5. Create quills by drawing short lines in the frosting using a toothpick. Preschoolers will love this job, and it's great practice for building fine motor skills.
6. Top off your cupcake with a green gumdrop hat.