French Potato Salad
Spring is the perfect time for this delicate salad. Unlike its American ounterpart, which is generally smothered in mayonnaise, this potato salad, made with new potatoes, spring onions and an oil and vinegar dressing, is lighter and bright in flavor.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 15 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (small red-skinned potatoes)
1 Tbs shallots - minced
1/4 cup spring (or green) onion - sliced thickly
1 clove garlic - minced
1 Tablespoon fresh tarragon - finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Kosher salt - divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Pour 2 quarts cold water into a medium saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Wash potatoes well and slice thickly -- about 1/4-inch per slice.
- Add sliced potatoes to water and heat to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy -- 4 to 5 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Drain potatoes and rinse briefly in cold water. Add to dressing and toss gently but thoroughly. Refrigerate if desired or serve at room temperature.