Hurry-Up Black Bean Soup
By the time you open the cans, this delicious, nourishing soup is half made. Put out little bowls of help-yourself garnishes, and it's a dish fancy enough for company.
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon each paprika (ideally smoked) and chili powder
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
Juice of half an orange
4 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
3 cups chicken broth or water
for garnish: sour cream, diced avocado, chopped white onion, lime wedges, and toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and sauté the onion over medium heat until it's translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the spices and sauté another half a minute, until the pot is fragrant, then add the tomato sauce and orange juice and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beans and broth or water, along with salt to taste, and bring back to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Use a potato masher or hand blender to puree some of the soup, then taste for salt and add more broth or water if the soup is too thick.
- Serve with the garnishes.