Holiday Sugar Cookies
No Holiday cookie tray is complete without traditional cut-out sugar cookies. This is a simple recipe that rolls easily and bakes up delicious cookies perfect for any kind of decoration, from colored sugars to icings and glazes.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
2/3 cup butter - softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light.
- Add vanilla and egg and stir until well combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into a flat disc and wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before rolling.
- Dust rolling surface with an equal mixture of all-purpose flour and powdered sugar. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cut cookies onto a baking sheet prepared with cooking spray or covered with parchment paper.
- Decorate with colored sugar or other decorations as desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly golden.
- Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.