It's cranberry season and a great way to use the slightly sweetened dried type is in this quick chicken dish. This has just the right blend of sweet and savory, with a slight tang from the Dijon mustard. Serve with wild rice and a green vegetable for just the right busy-night meal.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cost per serving: $1.00
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets (Note below)
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse-grind black pepper
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Combine cranberries, apple juice and chicken stock in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a gallon-sized plastic bag with zip top, mix flour, salt and pepper. Toss chicken breasts into bag and shake well until each breast is coated evenly with flour.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add chicken and cook for 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Pour soaked cranberries with juice and stock into the hot pan, reduce heat to low and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in mustard and add chicken back into pan.
- Cook for another 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and sauce has thickened. Serve chicken with sauce atop.
Note: Breast fillets are simply chicken breasts that have been cut horizontally to be thinner and cook quicker.