Orange Gingerbread and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
There isn't a Holiday season that goes by when we don't have gingerbread in one form or another. The kids love gingerbread men, and I adore ginger snaps. But rolled gingerbread dough is not the easiest to work with and sometimes a softer cookie is just right. Infused with orange and filled with chocolate chunks, this drop version is not only easier, but softer -- and everything is better with chocolate.
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
1 cup unsalted butter - softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
3 teaspoons milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together butter, sugar and zest until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well combined.
- Stir in molasses and milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and spices and stir well until a thick, smooth batter forms.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and drop dough by rounded teaspoonsful onto greased baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until bottoms are very lightly browned - do not overbake.
- Cool on racks.