Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Toaster Tarts
Kids love toaster tarts and grown-ups love chocolate-covered strawberries. Combine both and you have a breakfast that everyone will love. These tarts go together easily and are more affordable than their store-bought counterparts at 15 cents per tart!
Hands-On Time: 25 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes (plus refrigeration time for dough)
Yield: 16 tarts
Cost: 15 cents per tart
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter - softened
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup strawberry preserves
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and fit 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time while beating and then add vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder until a soft dough forms. Cut dough into four equal pieces and flatten each piece into a disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Roll one quarter of dough into a rectangle measuring 10 inches by 12 inches. Cut into 8 smaller rectangles, each 3 inches by 5 inches, leaving side-by-side until ready to assemble.
- Top 4 of the rectangles with 1 teaspoon of preserves and one teaspoon of chocolate chips, leaving a small edge.
- Top with a plain rectangle of dough and crimp the edge of each with a fork and prick the tops lightly with the fork tines. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and repeat with all dough until you have 16 toaster tarts.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until very lightly browned at the edges. Remove from oven and cool.
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips until smooth and drizzle over the tops of each tart. Cool and store in plastic for up to one week.*
Melt chips in a double boiler, if you have one, or in the microwave in a microwave-safe glass dish.