This is one of those desserts that kids and moms alike enjoy. Few ingredients and ease of preparation put it high on my list of stand-bys. The strawberries can easily be substituted with any other berry or even chocolate pudding. Any way you layer it, this is delicious!
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 3 1/2 hours
Yield: 8-10 servings
1 angel food cake* -- 10-inch size
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar, depending on tastes
1 cup milk
16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Cut angel food cake into cubes about 1 1/2 inches in size.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and milk and mix until well blended.
- Fold whipped topping into cream cheese mixture.
- Layer half of the cake cubes into a trifle bowl.
- Top with half of the cream cheese/whipped topping mixture.
- Add half of the strawberries on top of the filling.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight before serving.
Make sure the angel food cake you get is a 10-inch size - any smaller and you'll have leftover filling. If you can't find angel food cake, simple pound cake is a great alternative. Two one-pound cakes would yield about the same amount of cake cubes.