This sweet cake recipe was created for my kids in honor of the Spiderwick Chronicles movie's release (honey is a favorite food of the character Thimbletack). They are fans of the book series, and I treated them with a menu of foods inspired by the stories.Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and gradually add 2 cups sugar. Blend in 4 eggs, one at a time and add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add buttermilk and flour mixtures alternately to creamed mixture. Blend well.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 325° F for 60 to 65 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan. Heat until butter melts, then and add vanilla.
- Poke holes into top of cake with fork -- all the way to the bottom.
- Pour sauce over cake while still warm. Do this over the center of the cake first -- pouring slowly until the sauce starts to sink in. If you pour too quickly the sauce will pool at the sides and the center of the cake won't be soaked enough.
- Cool completely before serving.