I don't know anyone who doesn't adore cupcakes and for kids, calling them Fairy Cakes just makes them all the more desirable. For me, a Fairy Cake would be light in color and bright in flavor, and if it were topped with what looked like little fairies that had alighted there for a rest, that would be perfect. Use butter frosting to top the treats.
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: 24 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon extract, vanilla, orange or lemon
1 tablespoon citrus zest, orange, lemon, lime
1 cup milk
5 egg whites
1 cup fruit-flavored O's cereal
Colored sugar, several colors
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line 24 muffin cups.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl at medium speed for one minute. Add sugar and extract and continue beating until fluffy -- about 2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and milk to butter and sugar alternately until well blended.
- Remove beaters and clean well before beating egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into cake mixture until well blended.
- Divide evenly among muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frost each cupcake with Butter Frosting using a bag fitted with a large star tip or by spreading frosting onto each with a knife. Sprinkle each cupcake with colored sugar.
- Top cupcakes with fruit flavored O's placing two together to form "wings."